Idaho Miscellaneous Admission

Military Spouse Provisional Admission

Rule 229 of the Idaho Bar Commission Rules permits spouses of military personnel to be admitted in Idaho without taking the Idaho Bar Exam.

Attorneys must:

  • Have passed a written bar exam and be admitted to practice law before the highest court of a state or territory of the United States or the District of Columbia.
  • Cannot have failed the Idaho bar exam within the past five years of the application.
  • Be identified by the Department of Defense (or for the Coast Guard when it is not operating as a service in the Navy, by the Department of Homeland Security) as a dependant of a member of the United States Uniformed Services.
  • Residing in Idaho due to the servicemember’s military orders to Idaho.

Attorneys must have supervising Idaho counsel and are required to obtain at least 15 hours of CLE credit on Idaho practice and procedure within six months.

Attorneys must file an application for provisional admission plus the applicable fee. The application shall include the military orders, certificates of good standing, and notice of the local Idaho counsel.

Provisional licenses are valid for one year and may be renewed.

The attorney must cease all activities and may have their license terminated when:

  • The spouse separates or retires from the Uniformed Services.
  • Failure to meet the annual licensing requirements.
  • Failure to have local Idaho counsel.
  • Permanent relocation outside of Idaho.
  • Ceasing to be a dependant as defined by the Department of Defense.
  • Admission to the Idaho Bar under another admission rule.
  • Failing the Idaho Bar Exam
  • Violation of ethics rules.
  • By the Idaho Supreme Court.